I have a lot on my agenda today, a lot of stuff that I didn't get to do yesterday must be completed today. There seriously aren't enough hours in the day!
Last night I decided to try out a new recipe from Cooking Light's website. I decided to make Chicken Enchiladas with Verde Sauce, and used a recipe from AllRecipes.com to make some Mexican Rice.
Although I did mess up on a few measurements (cut me some slack, I'm a novice at cooking!), it did manage to turn out scrumptious although not visually appealing.
Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
Mexican Rice Recipe
My boyfriend loved the Mexican Rice Recipe the best!
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add rice. Cook, stirring constantly, until puffed and golden. While rice is cooking, sprinkle with salt and cumin.
- Stir in onions and cook until tender. Stir in tomato sauce and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Chicken Enchiladas Recipe:
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 enchiladas and 1 lime wedge)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (7-ounce) bottle salsa verde (such as Herdez brand)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1/3 cup (3 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled queso fresco
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 lime wedges
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
Preparation-Preheat oven to 425°.
-Combine first 4 ingredients in a blender; process until smooth.
|Yummy Salsa Verde Sauce.|
-Stir in 1/2 cup salsa mixture. Reserve remaining salsa mixture.
|Chicken mixed with the Salsa Verde.|
|The best part ;)|
-Remove tortilla; drain on paper towels. Spoon about 1/4 cup chicken mixture down center of tortilla; roll up. -Place tortilla, seam-side down, in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas, broth, and chicken mixture.
-Pour remaining salsa mixture over enchiladas; sprinkle evenly with queso fresco and chili powder.
-Bake at 425° for 18 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
|Fresh out the oven!|
|The finished product.|
|Ugly, but it tasted good, I promise ;)|
We have leftovers for lunch today as well!
I'm going to finish my cup of coffee while reading the newest Cooking Light magazine, then head to the apartment gym to do Day 1 of Couch25K. I went to the apartment gym yesterday, but all of the treadmills were full, and I had work so I didn't have time to head to 24 hour, so I just ended up spending some time on the elliptical.
My agenda includes:
-Day One Couch25K
|My little cheat sheet.|
-30 minute walk with Lucky.
-Shower, get ready.
-Head to the bank.
-Buy a loaf pan so I can bake banana bread tonight!
-Clean my room.
-Finish my nursing communication reading.
-Order printer ink, phone battery, and renew my DL online.
-Shop online for new furniture (we are signing the lease on our new place this week!)
-Yoga workout dvd.
-Relax with my honey and watch "Life as We Know It"
|I'm a bit obsessed with my pets, so I just had to throw in a picture of Lily! She's annoyed here.|